When trying to change colors for a given language (or even the default "Editor") there are far too many backgrounds that one has to adjust --- if background is one of the settings you are trying to change.
I would suggest a few things:
- Every language should have a "Default background setting", and all current themes should implement it.
- All individual elements in a language (e.g. PHP) highlighter that use the same background (which is likely all of them)
should be set to the language background default instead of a specific color.
- The Default Background setting should be able to reference another language's default, or even "Editor"
So for example,
- You could change your Editor Highligther Default Background to a certain color, and none of the individual
elements for "Editor" would need to change, as they already reference "Editor Default Background" -- which you just changed.
- You could update the backgrounds for ALL of the languages simply by changing their Default background setting to: "Editor Default Background" --- which would be 1 change for each language... as opposed to the current implementation which requires you to change each element for every language (hundreds of changes... every time you want to update the background).
There is a current pseudo-workaround: You can update ALL the current Themes to use "Transparent" for their individual elements (still hundreds of changes), and then just update the "Editor background".