CodeLobster IDE

Free cross-platform PHP IDE (HTML, PHP, CSS, JavaScript, Python code editor) with support Drupal, Joomla, Twig, JQuery, BackboneJS, LaravelJS, Node.js, CodeIgniter, CakePHP, Laravel, Magento, MeteorJS, Phalcon, Symfony, VueJS, WordPress, Yii
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Search text within large PHP projects
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Sometimes when we work on large PHP projects with hundreds or thousands of files, it is very difficult to navigate exactly where is a variable or just some text. A wonderful and convenient tool for this purpose is the software tool SeekFast

Post subject: Re: Search text within large PHP projects
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:02 am 

Hello, I am the creator of SeekFast and a partner of CodeLobster.

If you like our program SeekFast, I can send 5 free licenses for SeekFast to users of this forum, who try it and post their opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 am 

Wow all i can say is that is fast!

i tested it on the search term "<HTML>" and before i even had a chance to click search it had already found what i was looking for!

I am very impressed. The only things that confuse me are

1. After a search i can click some of the contents of the file within the search window.....WHY? (this isn't so relevant now i know i was looking at a bug after my first search).
2. When doing a search for something in brackets like these <> the results don't work as the text that was found does not get displayed.
3. There are no tooltips when you hover your mouse of the icons at the top.....WHY? The icons might look obvious but sometimes they are not. The picture of the house for example should go home...BUT what is home on a single page interface?
4. The default search location always reverts back to your installation directory....why? Surely the last location someone searched in would be more wise?

Here are a couple of images

Working

Not working
Other than this, i love it, really really good piece of software!

I am happy for my free licence :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:50 am 

Hello dmresource and thanks for your thoughts about SeekFast!

Let me briefly answer to your questions:

1. When you click on the text, you can view larger part of it without opening the file. When you click on the file name, you just open the file
2. When you search within HTML files, something might not be displayed as expected because the program window is an HTML browser and the output interferes with the search results HTML
3. You are absolutely right about the tooltips - I will include them in the next version
4. To change the default search location just go to Tools - Options and select the desired Startup directory.

More comprehensive info you can read in the SeekFast manual at http://seekfast.org/seekfast-manual

Please write me a mail to info@seekfast.org for me to send you back the free license!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:13 pm 

Hi pamir,

I have tried the trial version of SeekFast and below are my comments and feedback:

Why is there a blank input text box? It seems meaningless to display such result. It would be good if you can catch such occurrence and not display those UI elements.

Some of the results when clicked will bring me to such a page. I think as you have mentioned you are using a HTML editor to display the results?

Overall I can say that the searching is really fast. However the display of results has compromised the quality of the program. As a end user, not only we want fast searching, the most important thing is the result must be accurately displayed.

I am sure you have your reasons for using an HTML editor to view the results. Maybe you can explore other alternatives to improve the results displayed. To get 100% correct results with a little compromise in speed is still better than getting 100% speed with compromised results.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:18 pm 

Hi geypoh, yes, you are absolutely right. I will fix the display of HTML text in the next version.

Thanks for your comments! Do you want me to send you a free license?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:33 am 

Hi Pamir,

I would gladly like to have the license to continue with the evaluation of your product on every of your new version. I hope it can be further improved base on our feedback and suggestion. The searching speed is great and has good potential.

Thank you for the license. Do update the thread when there are further updates and I can continue to test it out for you.

Regards

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:41 am 

Hi geypoh, I have sent you the free License to your e-mail.

I will work to fulfill all suggestions from this forum and I hope to have the new version of SeekFast in the next month.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:17 am 

HI Pamir,

A default search location might be ok, but I still think it should save the previous search location and default to that. In fact even better would be the option, like google chrome, to have "continue where you left off" and "always use this directory".

That way people can pick, i would prefer to carry on where i left off whereas i am sure there are some people out there who would rather default to a single location!

I will email you now :D

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:43 pm 

Hi dmresource, I have sent you the free license.

The suggestion about saving the last searched location is very good.

However, I will turn back to the tooltips - actually there are tooltips over the icons on toolbar, I have checked.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:21 pm 

Quote:
saving the last searched location is very good.

Giving that a +1 as well please.